Building a Luxury Custom Home with John Buchan Homes
John Buchan Homes is uniquely Northwest, with roots planted here in the early 1960s. Its first new home community was built on Mercer Island, and before long, the company was building throughout the Puget Sound, never losing focus of the Eastside. John Buchan always prided himself on craftsmanship, artistry and perfection. Heather Dosch, the company’s CEO, continues her father’s same passion for this business as displayed in every home they build.
“From the very first home we built, to the thousands of homes we’ve built to date, our commitment to excellence is woven into the tapestry of who we are and what we do,” she says.
John Buchan Homes is sought out from clients around the world, simply by reputation, valuing the level of expertise offered.
“We do more than simply execute plans. We add value by thinking through every detail, guiding and sharing our knowledge and expertise as we help our clients navigate a complex process,” she says.
From start to finish, John Buchan Homes walks the client through the home building process like an “experienced guide.” Its team works with cohesiveness, experience and with a strong emphasis on quality. The relationship with the client becomes more than just business. With creativity, life dreams and visions shared along the way, often the client finishes the process feeling like family.
Featured here is one of the company’s latest completed projects, more than two years in the making, located in the heart of Medina. The process was a labor of love as this property has been part of the Buchan family for quite some time. The team knew this home had to be exceptional in every way to properly honor their heritage in Medina. This is a home marked by quality craftsmanship, clean lines and a commanding presence. The floor plan flows seamlessly, offering connected indoor and outdoor spaces, comprising a gorgeous mix of materials creating true artistry throughout. Situated on a half-acre corner lot, privacy was sought from every angle to deliver a home that lives large without being on public display.
With more than 60 years of building history, John Buchan Homes has established a reputation that can be trusted. John Buchan Homes’ knowledge, experience and client care set it apart. Ultimately it’s about building a home the team can be proud of, that John is proud to have his name on and that clients are happy to call home.
The building process from start to finish:
1. Discovery: Initial meeting discussing goals, style, expectations.
2. Architectural design: Land surveys, schematics, design development, drafting and engineering.
3. Interior design: Exterior and interior deco selections, cabinets, lighting and landscape design.
4. Build: “In most cases, we are demolishing an older home, then moving to foundation work, framing, mechanical and finish trim.”
5. Orientation and Move-In: Final detail work is completed, and an orientation tour is performed to demonstrate the home’s basic and advanced features so clients know how to maximize their home’s performance.
- Private sanctuary features Thoreau-inspired Walden Bianco Onyx mosaic tilework, inset vanity mirrors and beautiful sconce lighting.
- Dramatic raised soaking tub surrounded by generous windows overlooking the private yard.
- Arched barrel ceiling displays iridescent tiles reflecting meditative ripples from the tranquil bath below.
- Custom walk-in shower features wall-to-wall horizontal niche, dual shower heads and built-in bench.
- Dual walk-in closets.
- Custom dressing area with full-length mirror, beautiful lighting and built-in jewelry drawers.
- Custom cabinets: Handcrafted and built-to-order maple soft-close cabinets; dovetail drawers.
- Counters and backsplash: PentalQuartz countertops in Listra; GIO tri-color honed water-jet mosaic full-height backsplash by designer Damon Johnstun.
- Kitchen sink and faucet: Luxury German-designed faucet by Dornbracht. Blanco Precision exceptionally handcrafted dual-bowl under-mount sink.
- Professional Thermador appliances: 48-inch Pro Harmony dual-fuel range with double ovens, 6 burners plus a griddle, custom stainless steel range hood, additional single Pro wall oven, built-in espresso machine, custom panel Freedom column 30-inch refrigerator plus 24-inch freezer, including dual 18-inch wine columns in the butler’s pantry, microwave drawer and two dishwashers.
- Hardwood flooring: Made of the finest character-grade aged French oak.
Floor Plan and Cheat Sheet
- 6,378 square feet
- 6 bedrooms
- 6.25 bathrooms
- 2 laundry rooms
- 3-car garage
- Family playroom
- Exercise room
- Covered outdoor living room