A lot can happen in one year. Last September, artist Blair Breitenstein inspired the Bellevue community with her compelling fashion illustrations and story in our 2017 fashion issue.
The artist grew up on Mercer Island, and her closest friends are people she has known since middle school.
“It seems like a lot of families stay on Island for decades,” Blair says. “That friend group and I still meet over holidays there. It was also convenient to be so close to Bellevue and Seattle. Being a girl that is greatly influenced by the city, I got the best of both worlds.”
Drawing inspiration from fashion photography, her illustrations exude a distinct vintage feel of ‘60s and ‘70s beauty. Blair’s work has been featured in top fashion brands such as Saks Fifth Avenue, British Vogue and Prada.
We asked Blair to share her favorite fashion moments over the past year, and here’s what she had to say:
- “I created storefront designs and limited-edition packing designs available at Nordstrom, Sephora and Fresh stores.”
- “Traveling to Spring /Summer Fashion Week and Fall/Winter with MAC to draw backstage (I traveled to Milan, Paris and London in September-October and in February-March.”
- “Created marketing materials for MAC.”
- “I had a full-page illustration printed in British Vogue, which was a dream come true.”
- “My artwork was featured in store windows for Alice + Olivia .”
- “I created images for Nordstrom gift cards.”
- She chooses the word “present” as one quality that best describes her.
- “I try to live in the day to day. I don’t spend too much time dreaming of the future or too much time dwelling on the past. I like to focus most on enjoying and savoring the current.”