This Locally sourced Greens and Grain Bowl is a Delicious Way to Get Your Daily Dose of Vegetables
As a nutrition and healthy lifestyle coach, I’m big on helping clients incorporate more nutrient-rich vegetables into their diet in delicious ways. However, these days not all veggies are created equal, as many have been sprayed with pesticides, genetically modified, grown in soil depleted of minerals, or traveled a long way to get to us—thus losing nutritional value along the way.
While this can be a bit disheartening, there are still plenty of ways to ensure you’re getting your daily dose of health-boosting veggies, especially at your local farmers market.
This spring I was inspired to incorporate fresh organic basil, greens, garlic, radish and leeks sourced from Alvarez Farms, which resulted in this gorgeous and equally tasty grain bowl with pumpkin seed pesto. Topping it off with a yolky egg and rich avocado adds flavor and helps your body absorb even more of those fat-soluble vitamins.
Spring Greens + Grain Bowl Recipe
Ingredients for Pumpkin-Seed Pesto:
- 1 tablespoon (2-4 cloves) minced garlic
- 2 cups basil leaves, torn from stems
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup arugula
- ¼ cup sprouted pumpkin seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked following package instructions
- 2 pasture-raised eggs, soft-boiled for 6 minutes
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed ghee, butter or avocado oil
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 leek, white part chopped
- 2 cups swiss chard or spinach
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- Sea salt, black pepper or chili flakes, to taste
1. Toss all pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until mixed. Set aside.
2. Heat a stovetop pan over medium and melt ghee or butter. Cook leeks and greens for 3-5 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Assemble each bowl with ½ cup quinoa, one soft-boiled egg, half of the cooked greens, and half of the sliced avocado and radish.
4. Top with a generous dollop of pesto.